Runner Up in the 22 and Up Category of the
2001 Halloween Costume Contest cosponsored by Simplicity Pattern Co.® and Jo-Ann® Stores!!!
This costume is a good example of how one piece of fabric is the basis for the entire costume idea. A couple of years prior to making this costume, I purchased the black spider web sheer fabric on sale after Halloween (it was part of the Halloween collection at Jo-Ann Fabrics). I had nothing in particular in mind, I merely bought what was left on the bolt and put it in my fabric stash. After I picked up the costume contest entry form, I figured now was the time to make something both Renaissance and Halloween with the fabric. The rest of the fabric and supplies were then purchased to build on the spider web theme.
I sewed the blouse in a black spider web sheer fabric, the collar and cuffs are backed with black cotton. The trim is a black Venice lace. The collar was stiffened with a spray stiffener to make it stick up. On the right is a Spider Pin and at the collar is an antique jet black broach pin which I received as a gift.
Lessons learned: I would back the collar and cuffs with the silver fabric used to back the skirt, to show more contrast.
I sewed the bodice in black with silver waves velvet, lined with black cotton.
Deviations from the pattern: Rather than use trim as the pattern instructed, I wanted a spider web pattern to mirror the blouse and skirt fabric. To that end, I traced various parts of a spider web pattern into the middle bodice front, alternating tabs at the waist, and the center tab on the shoulder strap by using a quilt template, couching silver metallic nylon cord over the tracings using nylon invisible thread.
Notes on this fabric: I really liked this velvet fabric because it can be ironed without concern for crushing the nap! The velvet waves of silver seem to have been created by the manufacturer by pressing in silver glitter, so it looks even better after ironing.
Those are not my hips, that's a bum roll underneath! :-) I sewed the bum roll in a black cotton fabric stuffed with polyester fill and tied with black twill tape.
Lessons learned: I would stuff the bum roll with cotton fill for better comfort on a hot day.
I sewed the skirt from two fabrics: a black spider web sheer fabric and a silver crepe back satin. The skirt body was sewn (and hemmed) separately for each fabric, then basted as one fabric for the waistband. The waistband was also sewn from the spider web fabric backed with the silver fabric. On the front are many Spider Pins.
I created this with a cheap silver PVC mask, painted with black paint spider webs to match the black spider web fabric. The spider web was created with silver metallic PVC cord, by pulling out the white cord inside and replacing with green floral wire to make it stiff. I mounted the spider web into the mask with hot glue.
Lessons learned: Originally this mask was made by covering a black PVC mask with the black spider web fabric backed by the silver fabric, but the fabric glue used to attach the fabric to the mask was so toxic smelling I could barely breath when wearing it, so it was scrapped and the above was done instead.
I created these from cheap black plastic spiders, mounted on silver earring posts with hot glue, and painted with silver paint to match the silver fabric. I pinned them onto both the blouse and skirt but can remove them for washing the clothing. I also pinned one onto the spider web on the mask and wore two for earrings (imagine that).